Skip to main content



n. 1. The perforated edge strips on printer paper, after they have been separated from the printed portion. Also called selvage and perf.

2. obs. The confetti-like paper bits punched out of cards or paper tape; this was also called 'chaff', 'computer confetti', and 'keypunch droppings'.

Historical note: One correspondent believes 'chad' (sense 2) derives from the Chadless keypunch (named for its inventor), which cut little u-shaped tabs in the card to make a hole when the tab folded back, rather than punching out a circle/rectangle; it was clear that if the Chadless keypunch didn't make them, then the stuff that other keypunches made had to be 'chad'.